Wednesday 17 July 2013

Why the title and why I write

As you may or may not know, the title of this blog comes from that glorious Bob Dylan song ‘Love minus zero’ (even more glorious when sung by the Walker Brothers – in that guise, one of the pieces of music I have lined up for when I’m asked to go on ‘Desert Island Discs’).
    And why these four words?
    Well, on the one hand they have significance for me in relation to my past (a significance that may – or may not – be revealed in The Novel) and on the other they explain the present.
    I am a banker’s niece (sort of) and I’m always trying to change, to perfect myself (whatever perfect is), but most of the time the process of making change feels like trying to turn a juggernaut on a steep hill by hand.
    Writing is the handle on the juggernaut. It’s the only way – or perhaps the best way – I know to change myself. It gives me hope.
    That's today's explanation anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment