Wednesday 17 July 2013

Fitting it in


I don’t know about you, but I always find it hard to fit new things into my life – even simple things like having to dose the dog once a day with pills from the vet. Perhaps it’s because my life’s already full to overflowing (‘You just think it is,’ Frog would say) or perhaps it’s because I’m an inflexible Taurean.
    Anyway, this new blog is a case in point. I want it to be immediate and personal – short posts, written daily, in the present tense – in imitation of one of my favourite blogs ‘What’s cooking?’ by Trish Currie. But then I have the problem, when do I write it? If I write it at the end of the day, it’s likely to be in the past tense. And so many things have happened by then that I have to summarise and the blog then becomes contrived. If I write it at the beginning of the day, does it take the place of my ‘daily pages’ (see previous post) or do I do those as well?
    When Frog and I were on holiday recently we read Neil Young’s delightful autobiography Waging Heavy Peace. Whenever he thought of a song, Neil says, he used to try and write it down (or record it) at that very moment. The more he was able to do that, the more ideas he would have for new songs. (I wish I could find the exact quote, as Neil puts it much better than that, but I can't - or haven't so far.)
    So that, for the moment, is what I’m going to try and do for this blog. I shan’t try and fit it into a routine. I shall try and be more spontaneous. Prepare to be bombarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment