Monday 22 July 2013

A messianic theme

No electricity today till 2pm as they’re working on the supply somewhere down the line so I can’t switch on the computer. I wander round, a bit lost, still waiting for an idea for the grande oeuvre
    I pick one of Frog’s books off the shelf – Desert Island Discs: 70 years of castaways. I gave it to him for Christmas but haven’t read it myself yet, mainly because it’s too heavy. I sit in the garden and dip into it, jotting down the things that strike me.

Ronald Searle says that as an artist you have to live on a (metaphorical) island.

Yoko Ono ends her session with an affirmation: ‘. . . Each of us was born at this time to fulfil a mission. Together we are in the process of healing and creating a better world . . .’

Benjamin Zephaniah says that for him being a poet was like being gay – to start with he kept it to himself.

Tracy Emin says that to make it as an artist you have to produce a seminal piece of work. You have to change the face of what people understand as art.

Sister Frances Dominica, who founded the first children’s hospice, chose her vocation over her family. They didn’t want to see her for several years when she first became a nun.

I stop when the dog destroys my pencil and come inside to see what I can make of the jottings.
    I had hoped that they would give me some sense of direction, but as I transcribe them I see a messianic theme emerging. Oh bother.
    And then I have an idea.

2 comments:

  1. Just to say if you want to ask Yoko Ono questions, you can, every Friday, and if selected, she will answer the question. Blogs make interesting reading..Different style to previous blogs-interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny - good to hear from you! How do you reach Yoko Ono - is that through Facebook?

    ReplyDelete