Thursday 25 July 2013

Down time

I’m really low today. I don’t even know if I should blog about it. I do have an idea for a new project, but it’s not enough yet to get me going. I’ve tried working on it – asking questions, making notes, trying to expand the idea. I’ve even tried starting writing. But nothing seems to work. I don’t know if it’s my own lack of belief in my writing, or whether it’s just not ready yet. I’m going to leave it now and do some sudoku.

Sometimes I find summer as difficult as winter. Spring and autumn are busy purposeful times with things to look forward to (Christmas, summer holiday), clothes to be got out/put away/ altered/made/even bought, and lots to do in the garden. And then, everything seems to stop.

I have completed books – fiction as well as non-fiction – so I’m not totally despicable. And I’ve been through down times over them too. But each time you have a down time, you think ‘This is it. I’ll never write again.’ I suppose that’s one of the reasons for this blog. If I have it on record – and public record – that I’ve been through a down time and come out the other side, perhaps it won’t be so bad next time it happens.

Sorry to go on like this.

3 comments:

  1. I've just found you again- and very excited to see lots of posts to catch up on - holidays....and a poem...and a NEW BLOG - wonderful! And you couldn't possibly be despicable....and it's so great to voice what I feel most of the time....whatever I write is crap....and of course it isn't - just that old inner critic having a gloating field day....and its good to own those down days .....they pass and here you still are - shining your light for us ....keeping on sharing you - honestly, bravely, beautifully...THANK YOU... X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish - you are so generous - I feel like crying. I wasn't at all sure whether to publish this post but you've convinced me that it's worth while. And nothing you write is crap - you are an example to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you to me - A big hug to you across the blogging ether! X

    ReplyDelete