Wednesday 6 November 2013

Get off my back, Goblin


Some of my best ideas come to me in the morning when I’m showering and brushing my teeth. Today I remembered a television programme I was watching last night. It was a surprisingly fascinating documentary about the food chain Iceland which is trying to change its image.
    ‘Do you have any doubts?’ asked the narrator of one manager as she put up the posters that completed the revamp of her store.
    ‘No,’ said the manager.
    She thought for a bit and then she spoke again. ‘You’re sunk if you have doubts.’
    What wise words.
    I’m fighting doubts all the time. It’s as if I have a goblin on my back trying to sabotage everything I do. No wonder my back hurts.
    At the beginning of this redraft of the novel, I could see several chapters ahead. I was buoyed up by the positive response of the YouWriteOn reviewers. Now, I’m getting to a really hazy part. I have no idea what happens next. If I allow doubts in I might seize up completely.
    Get off my back, Goblin.

No comments:

Post a Comment