Wednesday 9 October 2013

Deadlines and spurs


The novel is proceeding inch by inch, with some bits speeding by and others taking numerous rewrites. My deadline is the Mslexia adult novel competition in 2015. I hope I make it!

I’m so glad to have a deadline as it’s very hard writing without one, especially in the early stages of a novel when everything is nebulous and ideas aren’t always there when you need them. You can’t force ideas but at the same time if you put your brain on the spot (reminding it of your deadline) sometimes it comes up with the goods. (Excuse cliches and mixed metaphors.) It’s a tricky balance.

The further I get into the novel however, the more nebulous it becomes, and as I’ve said I don’t know how my heroine is going to resolve her problems. Hopefully that means the reader won’t either but it may mean that I get stuck later.

The good response of the YouWriteOn reviewers has made me think that publication might not be totally out of the question. The fact that one day someone might even read – and enjoy – the novel is another spur.

A big family weekend coming up so I have to spend today preparing for it (in both practical and psychological terms). So no novel-writing or blogging till at least next Tuesday. And I shouldn’t be blogging now as I’m not even halfway through my To Do List.

A misty murky walk yesterday (with damp spots on the camera lens)

No comments:

Post a Comment