Thursday 3 October 2013

Blow it


The writer Philip Pullman allows himself to do some carpentry after he’s written 2000 words. He has a huge writing room, as far as I remember from the picture I saw, with a carpentry workshop up one end.

I’m allowing myself to do some sewing today after three intensive writing days. I tried writing for a fourth day last week and my brain refused to function. I couldn’t even read a magazine.

I have a small, cluttered (but much loved) writing room with a sewing workshop up one end
 
Sometimes filthy weather is a blessing. I can sit inside with a clear conscience and catch up on all the mending, altering and customising I want to do. I haven’t done any sewing for weeks.

The weather must be bad. This morning in a torrential shower which was practically beating her to the ground, the dog turned tail and fled home. ‘Blow it,’ I thought. ‘Why should I force her? Why should I get soaked if the dog’s not enjoying herself?’ We went out again later in a shower only slightly less heavy than the one earlier.


3 comments:

  1. I want to read your novel! What a talent to have - to be able to sew - still creating when you aren't writing...I use filthy weather as an excuse to read....not sure why I need an excuse though...x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish - so good to know you're there. And what about your cooking! I'd LOVE you to read my novel - when it's finished . . .x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll look forward to it....I'm rooting for you.....I know how hard and all consuming this writing thing is.....which is why I think anyone who attempts to sustain a novel is a heroine.....and why I stick to blogging....! x

    ReplyDelete