Saturday 7 December 2013

Being sociable


In spite of everything I said in the last post but one about not having a social life, I did go out yesterday, at my neighbour’s insistence, to a Christmas tree festival in the village church. I enjoyed it and, what’s more, I bumped into Sally and Jack whom Frog and I knew thirty-five years ago. They’ve been working in London but have come back to the village to live. Another circle turning 360 degrees. It must be our age. Sadly Frog wasn’t with me as he was on the floor of the conservatory mending our washing machine which has been out of action for two weeks.

I realise that it’s not exactly social life per se that I avoid. It’s all the obligations and the reciprocity that go with it. Perhaps I should be better at saying no and less good at letting other people’s expectations influence me.

On the other hand, being sociable ain’t half exhausting. I have to go for long walks with Dog to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment