Tuesday 6 August 2013

Too many words

 For about three years on and off in my late thirties/early forties (some twenty years ago) I saw a counsellor/hypnotherapist. Part of the therapy was to keep a dream diary.
    At first I recorded everything (which was a pain in the bum) but then I realised that some dreams are more important than others. Most are just the mental filing system working away or a jumble of the day’s impressions. The important ones didn’t happen that often and they usually woke me up. Whether that was because of their charged emotions or because I’d told my subconscious I wanted to record them, I don’t know. Either way, I wrote them down immediately. They never usually made much sense at the time but coming back to them weeks, months or even years later I would often see exactly what they were telling me.
    And, as you may have realised if you’ve read the previous post, I’ve kept and used a dream diary ever since.
    All of which is a preamble to apologising for some of the muck that appears in this blog. I’m trying to add to it every day, or at least every writing day, because that way it will be an accurate record of the whole writing process. This of course means recording the bad as well as the good because – like my dream diary – even if I don’t understand at the time what is going on I might do so in the future and be able to learn from it.
    All of which is a preamble to telling you that I have a migraine today – but I’ll mitigate that by telling you that the migraines are getting better.
    I find it hard to speak when I have a migraine. The bit of my brain that locates words and puts them into my mouth is sluggish to say the least. Sometimes I can’t write either (even though I’m not doing too badly today – or so I think at the moment. I might read through this tomorrow and think, ‘God, how embarrassing.’).
    So today's message is perhaps fairly clear. Too many words.
    I'd better stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment