Tuesday 8 July 2014

Should you die first



I’ve mentioned before my poetic aunt, Annabelle Despard, but I’m going to mention her again because one of her poems has been chosen by the Southbank Centre in London as one of the 50 best love poems of the last 50 years. It’s called ‘Should you die first’ and is to be found in her poetry collection Dressed in Water (Dionysia Press 2011) and in the anthology Being Human (Bloodaxe 2011).

The poems will be read out at the Southbank Centre on 20 July. You can read Annabelle’s poem on the Dionysia website, and about the selection in the Guardian of 2 July.

The list includes poems from 30 different countries. Annabelle, like my mother, is half Norwegian. She lives in Norway and writes her poems in both English and Norwegian.

I’m very proud of her.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dear Belinda - how lovely to have a published poetic aunty - I'll look her up in my Bloodaxe poetry books. I have a poetic niece who I'm so proud of too...
    Thank you so much for your message re the flowers in Her Outdoors - I tried to comment but it wouldn't accept - odd you can't comment on mine either....Welcome back from Greece too - loved all the photos and comments - made me want to get on a plane and go.... TXX

    ReplyDelete